Unboxing the $69 Kindle Video: This Screen Looks Nice!

Note: If you are reading my blog posts on an E Ink Kindle, you won’t be able to see this five-minute video of my unboxing of a $69 Kindle, unfortunately. All you have to do in that case is to browse on your computer, tablet or smartphone to LenEdgerly.com .

It’s been a while since I’ve uploaded an unboxing video, so this was fun. I have more videos I plan to upload this week, taken by Garrett Riley when we were covering the Amazon press conference in Santa Monica on Sept. 6. Stay tuned!

1. Shelley wrote:

Hi Len,
    Any idea why the Paperwhite, being released 10/1, isn’t due to be delivered until 10/11? I have a Prime membership and ordered the new Kindle on Day 1 (like a good TKC fan).
    Shelley

Posted 10 Sep 2012 at 10:46 pm

Shelley, I don’t know what the answer to that is. All the different shipping dates for these new products are pretty confusing. My $69 Kindle was supposed to be delivered tomorrow but it showed up today instead. Maybe they are underpromising and plan to overdeliver. I’m goad to see you are ordering on Day 1!

Posted 10 Sep 2012 at 11:03 pm
  3. Jay wrote:

Hi Len – curious about the refresh rate. I have had e-ink readers for a while starting with the Sony PRS-505. The refresh rate of the display has been so far one of my main concerns and I think affects the reading experience the most. Currently I have the Kindle Keyboard and Nook Simple. The Nook Simple refreshes the page (black-out) after six or seven page views. The Kindle Keyboard black-outs on every page. What is the refresh rate on the Paperwhite ? Any differences between the $69 Kindle and the Paperwhite ? The refresh rate will determine for me whether to get the new Paperwhite or not.
    Thanks for any input on this.

Posted 11 Sep 2012 at 11:21 am

Jay, I’ve been comparing the new $69 Kindle with my Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, side by side. The next-page action on the Kindle is noticeably faster than on the Nook. They both advance six pages before the black flash which refreshes the entire screen. The font is noticeably darker on the Kindle than on the Nook. The big difference with the Paperwhite will be the brightness of the display. From the press conference demos, I did not have a chance to compare the screen refresh speed on the Paperwhite v. the $69 Kindle.

Posted 11 Sep 2012 at 12:11 pm
  5. Brett wrote:

Hi Len,

Thanks for the video. I’m curious what version of the operating system the $69 Kindle has this time. Last time I think the basic ($79) had 4.x, the Touch had 5.x and I think the Fire had 6.x. Is the $69 at 4.3 or something or has it leap frogged to 7.x?

Brett

Posted 11 Sep 2012 at 1:55 pm

Brett, I was surprised to see that the $69 Kindle has the exact same operating system as the $79 Kindle. They both are listed under Settings as Version 4.1.0 (1615370055).

Posted 11 Sep 2012 at 2:02 pm
  7. John McCormack wrote:

Having just seen a demo of the new iPod Touch with retina display, camera, etc. I will probably pass on the new Kindles and keep my old Kindle Touch for reading and get the new iPod Touch for travel, running, and cycling – and maybe even reading.

Posted 12 Sep 2012 at 9:22 pm

1. From Kindle Black : un premier test du Kindle 4 “amélioré” | eBouquin « Valor de Cambio on 18 Sep 2012 at 3:44 am

[...] le « Kindle Black » (l’emballage a aussi été accordé à sa nouvelle robe). Le blog Kindle Chronicles a publié une première vidéo de l’appareil et montre à quel point il est semblable à son [...]