TKC 204 Christian Hupfeld

Christian Hupfeld & Family

News – 1) The Wall Street Journal reports, “Your eBooks are Reading You.” Link mentioned: Coliloquy. 2) Boy Genius quotes a source who has handled both of the new Kindle Fire models. 3) PC World thinks about what Google is up to with the Nexus 7.

Tech Tip – How to send an author a question right from your Kindle. Problems on the Kindle Fire with the HBO Go app.

Interview (Starts at 22:34) – I spoke with Christian Hupfeld, creator of eReaderIQ, on June 26th. Links mentioned: Book Basset, Kindle Nation Daily’s eBookTracker, Luzme, eBook Price Drops, zooLert, and Edward Tufte.

Content – A Byliner Original for $1.99, Everybody’s Reading Bastard by Nick Hornby. The Kindle Chronicles Interviews for Kindle Nation Daily – Vol. 1.  A 99-cent game I like for the Fire: Cut the Rope.

Next Week’s Guest: Marshall Poe, editor-in-chief of New Books Network.

1. Al wrote:

Before I retired 25 years ago I was working in data analysis. Mean time to garbage was about 2 weeks, meaning if someone had to input data not for their own use, then the data turned to garbage. Now it seems Amazon is going to use our highlights to make decisions. Unfortunately if they make the assumption that we would not highlight anything unless it is positive, then the stuff I highlight is going to skew their data because I highlight errors so I can send those back to the author. I don’t know how many others do this so I don’t know if I am skewing their data at all, but it is still a bad assumption. I think this new @author is going to be good because I can highlight the first error I find and send him/her a message asking if they want their errors flagged. I notice there are only a dozen authors in this system. Do you know if there is a way for the rest of us to participate, or is this a closed beta system?

Posted 30 Jun 2012 at 1:02 pm
  2. Al wrote:

I like the calculation for cents/page, but it is truncated at the bottom because we cannot price an article below 99 cents. If you plot the number of words vs cost I think you will find it skewed at the bottom price.

Posted 30 Jun 2012 at 1:05 pm

I suspect the @author connection is by invitation only. It doesn’t seem as if they have added many authors since it was introduced about a year ago, if I remember correctly.

Posted 30 Jun 2012 at 1:48 pm
  4. Tom Welch wrote:

Len, whatever happened to Eastgate. I bought their software in 1996.

Posted 30 Jun 2012 at 8:48 pm

I think they’re still around. I bought the software too and was sure it was going to be the Next Big Thing. Shows how much I know! :-)

Posted 30 Jun 2012 at 9:41 pm
  6. Mary McManus wrote:

Likely I should have written ahead of time to tell you what a nice guy Christian Hupfeld is in his diligent monitoring of the Kindle forum in relation to ereaderiq.com. The few times when the site has been wonky and someone posts a message on the forum, Christian jumps right in and tells us what the problem is and when he expects to have it fixed. I’m really shocked that you only recently found out what a great site this is. Those of us that have a long wish list but don’t want to pay the current prices have used it ever since it started up, and it is easy to see why he has gained users so fast. Any time someone complains on the Kindle forum about having to constantly check for price drops, someone recommends the site. I don’t know about others, but even if I cave before there is a price drop notification, I will go to ereaderiq and click into Amazon through there to buy the book, because I want to help them all I can. I am so glad they are getting along well—they deserve it.

Posted 04 Jul 2012 at 6:22 pm