37 Kovid Goyal

kovid-photoNews (2:03) – Joshua Tallent‘s new book, The Complete Guide to Formatting Books for the Amazon Kindle, is available for purchase in print here and here, and in Kindle format. Staton Rabin‘s Betsy and the Emperor is available for Kindle pre-order. Abhi brought my attention to Amazon’s new “Big Deals on Kindle” section.  A grumpy (but no Luddite) Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reporter pans the Kindle 2, citing the never-before-mentioned “disgust factor.”

Tech Tip (6:45) – Calibre can now transfer content to your Kindle without a USB cable!

Interview (10:02) – Kovid Goyal, creator and principal developer for Calibre.

Quote (25:52) – Introduction to Joshua Tallent’s The Complete Guide to Formatting Books for the Amazon Kindle

Comments (27:55) – Amazon Kindle Support (concerning the more-than-$9.99 price for new release Power Rules by Leslie Gelb, Ken and Kim Dell in Arizona, Linda Hopkins (mentioning a screensaver hack for the Kindle 2), Marcy McKenzie (on kindlefeeder) , Mary Hundle, and an audio comment from Esmeralda deTrafford.

Click here to download this episode.

1. ted-san wrote:

Another great episode.
    Kovid – you’re doing great work, increasing the value of the Kindle greatly by providing much more content in a simple and powerful way.

And Len, keep up the great work. Spreading the word about ways to increase the power of the Kindle is a fantastic service for us all.

Posted 04 Apr 2009 at 12:30 pm
  2. Soosie Burnett wrote:

After comparing my digital subscription edition of the New Yorker with that available through Calibre, I’m pretty sure that they are not the same. The New Yorker makes some articles available online without a subscription, but not all. While the paid digital subscription edition is a virtual replica of the magazine, with every page appearing exactly as it does on paper, the Calibre edition appears to be only those portions available free online. Not a surprise, really, but folks who are expecting to get the real thing may be disappointed in this case, and perhaps many other publications.

That said, I will still enjoy even partial versions of my New Yorker on my K1 via Calibre on occasions when the laptop is inconvenient, such as while traveling. So thanks so much for the Calibre tip — I expect it will be useful in other situations as well.

One topic I continue to find confusing is how one should treat the K1 battery — recharge early and often, let it run down, leave the K1 in sleep mode for hours or turn it on and off. Any advice you may have will be appreciated.

I enjoy the podcast very much, and learn a surprising amount. Thanks for the effort that I know it must take to put it together each week. Or as we say in Maui, mahalo nui loa!

Posted 06 Apr 2009 at 8:41 pm
  3. Wes wrote:

I use Calibre for Mac. Having a bit of a hard time with it, so the next time you are in Las Vegas, I owe you dinner, and you can tutor me a bit with your wonderful software. You are a genius.

Posted 13 Feb 2011 at 1:30 pm
  4. SoccerMomkn wrote:

Thanks so much for calibre! I will now be able to fully enjoy my Kindle!

Posted 03 Jan 2012 at 12:25 pm
  5. Ralev wrote:

Any idea how to contact this dude ? :)
    Speaking about Mr. Goyal

Posted 06 Jan 2012 at 3:40 pm

Here is contact info from his web site: http://calibre-ebook.com/about#contact

Posted 07 Jan 2012 at 9:55 am
  7. Ralev wrote:

10x, Len
    I saw the page, but there is no e-mail address – that’s why I’ve asked here.
    If you have an address – pls, drop a line – margarit attt ralev dot com :)

Posted 08 Jan 2012 at 11:34 pm

Ralev, I emailed Kovid letting him know you are trying to reach him by email. I hope you hear from him!

Posted 12 Jan 2012 at 9:19 pm
  9. George Osterwise wrote:

Question: I got my Kindle Fire for Christmas. Since them I have not had much free time to explorer my new device as I would like. One aspect I would like to dive into is the ability to use spreadsheets on the device. I have downloaded the Quickoffice app, but how to create a new spreadsheet or how to get existing files onto my Kindle are not obious. Help!

Also if you could give some detail on how to get the Amazon test movies on my Kindle I would be interested to hear that.

Love the show.

Thanks,
    George

Posted 11 Apr 2012 at 7:08 pm

George, I will take a look at spreadsheets on the Fire. Thanks for the suggestion.
    As for Kindle Test Movies, on your Fire, tap the “Video” category from the home screen. Then enter “test movies” in the search bar. You will then see a list of 20 test movies, including the one I talked about on the show, “I Think My Facebook Friend Is Dead.”

Posted 11 Apr 2012 at 7:34 pm
  11. Garthen Leslie wrote:

I would like to contact Kovid as I am working on a project that could benefit from Calibre. However, I need some addditional help with integrating other software with Kovid. Does anyone have any contact information? Thanks.

Posted 06 Jan 2013 at 10:10 am

Garthen, I will forward your inquiry to Kovid.

Posted 06 Jan 2013 at 10:15 am
  13. Ruth wrote:

I love Calibre! However, I have it on my desktop and my laptop computers. I have read FAQs but can’t really find a way to combine both libraries. Does anyone know if it can be done and if so, how?

Posted 02 May 2013 at 5:12 pm

1. From Le logiciel Calibre « Blog eBook GCB on 29 Jun 2009 at 7:37 am

[...] ce podcast contenant une entrevue avec Kovid. Je vous reparles de ces podcasts dans une autre [...]

2. From GCB » Entrevue Software kindle sony » Le logiciel Calibre on 24 Sep 2009 at 5:42 pm

[...] ce podcast contenant une entrevue avec Kovid. Je vous reparle de ces podcasts dans une autre [...]