TKC 482 Kindle Execs Discuss All-New iOS & Android App

Kindle Creative Director Seth Micarelli, left,

and Mike Torres, Kindle director of product management and design

Amazon announces all-new Kindle app (press release) – October 24, 2017

All-New Kindle Oasis

Kindle Select, Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP)

Kindle Unlimited and Prime Reading

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

Next Week’s Guest

David Ignatius, Washington Post columnist and author of The Quantum Spy: A Thriller, available for pre-order with delivery November 7, 2017.

Music for my podcast is from an original Thelonius Monk composition named “Well, You Needn’t.” This version is “Ra-Monk” by Eval Manigat on the “Variations in Time: A Jazz Perspective” CD by Public Transit Recording” CD.

Please Join the Kindle Chronicles group at Goodreads!

Right-click here and then click “Save Link As…” to download the audio to your computer, phone, or MP3 player.

1. Bufo Calvin wrote:

Hi, Len!

I wanted to invite your listeners to share their opinions on what they think has happened (both to them and the world) “Because of the Kindle”. That’s the title of my next book, and I may use their comments in the book…that’s all explained in this post: https://ilmk.wordpress.com/because-of-the-kindle/

Posted 27 Oct 2017 at 9:25 pm

I’m sorry I neglected to mention this on the show, Bufo. I’m glad you posted it here!

Posted 27 Oct 2017 at 9:42 pm
  3. Tom Semple wrote:

I like the UI refresh, but don’t care much for the new app tile/splash image. Not only is it not gender neutral, but it is just sort of disturbing and baffling that this boy is out reading a book under the stars, with no visible source of light for reading. Do his parents know where he is? How is he able to read without any light?

The original black and white silhouette was neutral about time of day – I always assumed it was day time.

And why not a boy and a girl…

I hope this is just temporary.

Posted 30 Oct 2017 at 1:22 pm

Points well taken, Tom. I won’t be surprised if this turns out to have been a transitional image, with more to come.

Posted 30 Oct 2017 at 1:42 pm
  5. Tom Semple wrote:

Note there are ‘component updates’ for Fire tablets that update the Kindle app tile and add ‘V’ (Close book icon) to reading options. Component updates are different than system updates and happen mostly ‘silently’.

Posted 31 Oct 2017 at 9:20 pm
  6. Jack Bunce wrote:

Len, I’m now just an occasional listener to your podcast but the interview with the Amazon Kindle execs caught my attention and I listened to it. My phone is an LG V10 running Android 7.0 so my experience with the new Kindle app is limited to the Android version.
    They really seem to have not just missed the boat but have actually gotten lost in the desert with respect to accomplishing their goals as stated in your podcast. The app does not provide a reading sanctuary in the Android version. Syncing does not work reliably with multiple reversions happening, i.e., the syncs don’t stick. The advertising for the Audible Soundtracks is abusively intrusive with a colored banner advertisement popping up near the controls everytime you go to the “quick pages view” which otherwise is in black and white. The page design for the library coverview page is visually jarring and contains useless elements (check boxes with checks that cannot be changed and do nothing). I would like the old app back; it worked for me. I have removed the new app from my phone.

Posted 02 Nov 2017 at 2:57 pm