TKC 317 Julie Blattberg

Julie

Open Road Media’s executive director of consumer engagement

Interview starts at 15:13

Who put the “social” in social media? That’s one human being making a connection with another human being—so Bill Gates read someone else’s copy of the book [Business Adventures by John Brooks] a million years ago, and it made an impression. That’s what social media is. The “media” part just amplifies it, puts it in front of an audience that didn’t see it five minutes ago.

Show Notes and Links:

Intro

Movo WS1 Furry Outdoor Microphone Windscreen Muff for Small Compact Microphones – $9.99 at Amazon.com

News

Twitch

All about Twitch

“Amazon gains valuable entertainment asset with purchase of Twitch” by Andrea Chang and Salvador Rodriguez at The Los Angeles Times – August 25, 2014

YoDa vs. Leenock (Tvt) – IEM Toronto 2014

“Freshman class at Denver’s South High go textbook-free; 9th graders to use Kindle Fire tablets” by Eric Kahnert and Brian Hernandez at 7News Denver – August 25, 2014

Goodreads announces you can preview Kindle books (U.S. Members)

Tech Tip

Clippings.io

Interview with Julie Blattberg

Open Road Media

Jane Friedman, CEO of Open Road, on The Kindle Chronicles episode 265

Open Road Media titles available for free via Kindle Unlimited subscription

Open Road’s newsletters

Sign-up pages for free Open Road Newsletters: Early Bird Books,

Early Bird Books on Twitter and Facebook

Open Road on TumblrTwitterFacebookPinterestGoogle PlusYouTube, Goodreads, and LinkedIn

Abelardo Morrell

Business Adventures: Twelve Classic Tales from the World of Wall Street by John Brooks

“The Best Business Book I’ve Ever Read” at Bill Gates’s blog – July 12, 2014

“Twitter by the Numbers: Size matters, but what about engagement?” by Julie Blattberg at Publishers Weekly – September 9, 2011

Where’d You Go, Bernadette: A Novel by Maria Semple

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

Content

The Big Fall Books Preview at Amazon.com

Amazon release on Big Fall Books – August 19, 2014

Next Week’s Guest

Sara Nelson, Editorial Director at Amazon.com

Music for my podcast is from an original Thelonius Monk composition named “Well, You Needn’t.” This version is “Ra-Monk” by Eval Manigat on the “Variations in Time: A Jazz Persepctive” CD by Public Transit Recording” CD.

Please Join the Kindle Chronicles group at Goodreads!

1. John Aga wrote:

Len: Let me share some revenue numbers I gathered during a Google search that I think will help provide some context to Amazon’s purchase of Twitch: Total Revenue for 2013 for the following industries: NBA – 5 Billion. MLB- 8 Billion. NFL – 9 Billion. Movie Box Office Ticket Sales -10.9 Billion. Video Game Revenue 93 Billion. To put Twitch into perspective Twitch is to gamers what ESPN is to sports fans. Amazon’s purchase of Twitch gives them access to the video game universe in a way they might never be able to recreate from scratch.

Posted 29 Aug 2014 at 11:23 pm

John, thanks for that VERY interesting data!

Posted 30 Aug 2014 at 6:38 am
  3. Steve Gold wrote:

Happy birthday, Len and thank you for diligently and expertly continuing to provide my Saturday morning fix.

Your ‘Jane Austen’ comment in the world of Twitch was spot on but also gave me pause. As a devoted Kindler since ’97 when everyone asked: ” What’s that” to now when its longevity and my own loom I ponder the outcome.

Perhaps my mood is explained by my own birthday on Wednesday of next week. I am loathe to even use the “S” word preferring for now to obliquely reference the event as memorializing the demise of my sixties.

Slapping myself, stiff upper lip; marching forward with my Kindle at my side secure in the knowledge that twitch is just another nervous tic in the tech boom and bust cycle and that readers and reading in some form or other will prevail. (Music rises)

Got to go now. ‘Saturday Night Twitch’ starts in a few minutes. R U READY FOR SOME TWITCH?

Posted 30 Aug 2014 at 6:32 pm
  4. Steve Gold wrote:

*2007 (Age related slip)

Posted 30 Aug 2014 at 6:42 pm

Well said, Steve! Grinning here at the beach. I got a nice guitar for my birthday and have started to learn the chords to “When I’m Sixty Four.” Never too late to learn!

Posted 30 Aug 2014 at 9:36 pm
  6. Tom Welch wrote:

Will this work for B & N Nook? http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2014/08/15/barnes-noble-teases-samsung-galaxy-tab-4-nook-tablet-ahead-new-york-launch-event/

Posted 31 Aug 2014 at 11:56 pm
  7. Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:

Thanks to John aga for those very telling numbers.

And to think that once many people considered novels to be dangerous escapism.

Posted 01 Oct 2014 at 2:44 am

1. From Thank you Len Edgerly at ‘The Kindle Chronicles’ | Clippings.io Blog on 14 Nov 2015 at 1:42 pm

[…] Len for your help with this.  Len covered this journey in his recent podcast which can be found here  and starts around the 12:30 minute mark. Len has been running the Kindle Chronicles podcast […]