TKC 296 James McQuivey & Amazon Fire TV

McQuivey

Author of Digital Disruption: Unleashing the Next Wave of Innovation

It could literally just be a bluetooth microphone that you clip to yourself, and maybe it’s combined in a pedometer or a wristwatch or a something else. All it does is listen for specific commands, like “Amazon, send me toothpaste.” Well Amazon would know exactly which toothpaste to send me.

Interview starts at 1:56

Show Notes and Links:

Amazon Dash

Interview with James McQuivey

“Disrupting Disruption at the AAP Annual Meeting” by Calvin Reid at Publishers Weekly – March 21, 2014

Digital Disruption: Unleashing the Next Wave of Innovation by James McQuivey – $3.99 on Kindle

Who Owns the Future? by Jaron Lanier – $10.99 on Kindle

Book subscription providers Oyster and Scribd

News and Interviews at Amazon’s NYC Press Event

Uber

Amazon Fire TV information at Amazon.com

Amazon Game Studios

“Amazon Game Studios Introduces ‘Sev Zero’ for Amazon Fire TV” – press release April 2, 2014

“Amazon Fire TV: Questions and Answers (and video)” by Lance Ulanoff at Mashable – April 2, 2014

Don’t miss Garrett Riley’s comparison of Apple TV with Amazon Fire TV in the latest episode of his Tech Grab Bag Podcast.

Next Week’s Guest:

David Vandagriff, creator of The Passive Voice blog: A Lawyer’s Thoughts on Authors, Self-Publishing and Taditional Publishing”

How You Can Support E-Books for Troops

Click here to help, so we can continue to distribute donated Kindles to U.S. Soldiers deployed overseas.

Click here for information on how to donate your used Kindle.

For information regarding major gifts or other questions, please email me at PodChronicles AT gmail DOT com.

Thanks to all of you who are already supporting E-Books for Troops, and a special thanks to M-Edge Accessories, which donates new Kindle cases whenever we need them to supplement cases that we receive with the donated Kindles.

Music for my podcast is from an original Thelonius Monk composition named “Well, You Needn’t.” This version is “Ra-Monk” by Eval Manigat on the “Variations in Time: A Jazz Persepctive” CD by Public Transit Recording” CD.

Please Join the Kindle Chronicles group at Goodreads!

1. John Aga wrote:

With Amazon FireTV I believe we have almost come full circle. First there was the Kindle ebook reader. Next came the Kindle Fire which combined some elements of an ebook reader, computer and a tv. Now we have the Amazon Fire TV and with a couple additions the circle would be complete. I would suggest adding an audible.com playback app that might include the ability to have captions along with the narration. Second, a Kindle reading app that included text to speech. A big screen tv could be a great reading app device for certain types of material, such as fashion or travel magazines or childrens books such as Dr. Seuss.

Posted 05 Apr 2014 at 5:38 pm

Whispersync for voice does this on the Fire, so why not Fire TV? Interesting idea, John. And I like Dr. Seuss on my Samsung! This technology does open up new worlds. I’ve just been playing a couple of games on the Fire TV, including the first created by Amazon Game Studios, Sev Zero. Seems impressive to me, but I am by no means an experienced gamer.

Posted 05 Apr 2014 at 6:36 pm
  3. John Aga wrote:

With the Amazon Fire TV, streaming movies, tv shows, music, games and other apps are the bait. The Amazon store is the hook. With your voice you can search for movies and tv shows. It seems that the next logical step is using your voice to enter search terms to locate and buy merchandise. This is Amazon’s end game. Amazon is in the business of selling a lot of stuff. Other media streaming providers are selling devices. It is no contest.

Posted 07 Apr 2014 at 11:59 pm
  4. Mary McManus wrote:

According to reviewers, the voice search will only bring up results from Amazon’s video offerings. For instance, even if you subscribe to Netflix, if you search for House of Cards, season 2, you will be given the opportunity of paying $2.99 per episode from Amazon rather than watching them for free on Netflix. I have had a Roku box for years and am extremely happy with it. For me, the search feature in general is best accessed from your computer, and added to my list from there. Although I am an Apple person, I have never wanted an Apple tv because it does not offer as much. Nor does Amazon Fire tv tempt me.

On another subject, I always find your James McQuivey interviews great. He has fascinating ideas and a refreshing way of presenting them. You appear to enjoy bouncing questions off of him and I know you’ll have him back frequently.

Posted 09 Apr 2014 at 9:11 am

Good point, Mary. I mentioned this last night when I recorded TKC 297 (early, because we leave tomorrow for Europe). The search function on Fire TV needs work before it will be as useful as I’m sure Amazon plans it to be, crossing the walls of the walled gardens. And you’re right, I love my conversations with James. This was, through luck, remarkably timed. I generally try to have him on every six months or so, because the digital world changes fast enough to assure we will have plenty to talk about!

Posted 09 Apr 2014 at 10:40 am

1. From The Kindle Chronicles - TKC 327 Mike Langlois on 07 Nov 2014 at 11:35 pm

[…] McQuivey interview on TKC 296 – March, […]