Kindle Tutorial: How to Touch a Paperwhite

This video tutorial takes about eight minutes to show you some tips for easy navigation of the Kindle Paperwhite’s touch screen. I had new users in mind when I prepared this, emphasizing the different actions that result from a tap or a tap-and-hold, as well as how to highlight and how to make a screenshot. If you have other tips to help new users get the most out of this latest and greatest E Ink Kindle, please leave them in Comments.

I want to thank Chris Kraft of Splash Media for suggesting that I do this video. Sorry it took so long to get it done!

Karen, if you tap lower left of the screen on a Voyage, it will show your reading progress by location, physical page number, time left in the chapter, or time left in the book. To change from one view to the next, simply tap on the lower left corner to cycle through them. If there is no display of where you are, tap anyway; that will bring up the various views. There is a setting on the menu of the Voyage labeled “Reading Progress,” and you can set it for “none” if you don’t want to see the location information. You can also set the default for which view appears at the bottom of the page. At the bottom right of the page you will see your reading progress by percentage completed.

Posted 26 Dec 2014 at 7:08 am

Dan, I’m sorry for the delay in answering your question. I bought Protein Power so I could see what you are looking at. I could not find a way to show all of the chapters except by tapping on the Part I, Part II headings, as you describe. It’s the same on the Fire HD 6 as on the Voyage, and from what you’ve said, the Paperwhite. This arrangement is probably part of the formatting of the book by the publisher. I’m not sure if they have an option to show all the chapter headings even if there are higher level sections. I agree it would be good to have an easier way to see all of the chapters.

Posted 26 Dec 2014 at 7:31 am
  3. Joe wrote:

On the Paperwhite, is there a way to turn off the location and percentage info at the bottom of the screen while reading? Thank you in advance!

Posted 31 Dec 2014 at 4:22 pm

Joe, with a page in the book you’re reading showing on your Paperwhite screen, tap at the top of the screen to reveal the navigation tools. Then tap on the menu icon (three horizontal bars). From the menu, tap “Reading Progress.” From there you can tap “None” and it will remove the location and percentage information from the page. Hope that’s helpful!

Posted 31 Dec 2014 at 7:55 pm
  5. randy west wrote:

Someone asked how to move back and forward one chapter at a time. Tap top to open menu, which also opens the bottom menu bar. Swipe up to open the ‘page in a window’ (which I was surprised you did not describe). Now the previous and next chapter arrows are visible. Move to the desired chapter and press anywhere in the page window, you will close the window and move to that chapter. If you close the window (with the X in the corner) you will go back to wherever you were in the book. Not as convenient as having the previous and next chapter buttons all the time, but not difficult. And I really like the page window, where you can move back and forth to check something without losing your place.

Posted 03 Jan 2015 at 10:35 am

Thanks, Randy!

Posted 03 Jan 2015 at 12:20 pm
  7. Cindy wrote:

This is so frustrating! My old Kindle without a touch screen let me tap on a passage in my Life Application Bible to see the study notes. The paperwhite, since it is a touch screen, just goes to the next page and I have to then go back to the beginning of the Bible and start all over again to access the Study Notes. Help!

Posted 18 Jan 2015 at 6:03 pm

Cindy, maybe if you tap and hold on the passage?

Posted 18 Jan 2015 at 6:07 pm
  9. A. Ciak wrote:

I cannot get anything on my Kindle except pictures of pencils, ink wells, erasers, keyboard
    letters etc. What is the problem. Nothing else appears on the screen so I cannot try and type in anything, it just went off as I was reading a few minutes ago. What is the problem??

Posted 01 Feb 2015 at 6:34 pm

These images sound like the sleep screen when there are no special offers. Have you tried swiping the screen to wake it up?

Posted 01 Feb 2015 at 6:36 pm
  11. Katherine Kreuter wrote:

Thank you so much! I inherited a Kindle Paperwhite when my Mom passed away, and struggled to understand the screen as it was so different from my (very old) Kindle. This video was the clearest, easiest tutorial – much obliged.

Posted 03 Feb 2015 at 7:09 am
  12. claude long wrote:

Thank you for this tutorial, it was very helpful. I seem to be having problems with my paperwhite. It can’t find my wi-fi network to download the book I bought. I may have accidently messed it up by mis-touching the screen in the middle of the night. Is there a way to re-set the factory settings in case I made a boo-boo?

Posted 24 Mar 2015 at 10:15 am

Claude, you might try restarting your Paperwhite first. Press the power/sleep button for a full 40 seconds and then let it start up again. That way you won’t lose all your content, and the WiFi problem might take care of itself. If that doesn’t work, there is a factory reset option on the menu at the right. Go to settings, and then maybe settings again. The last option will be factory reset or reset to default settings. Good luck!

Posted 24 Mar 2015 at 10:59 pm
  14. Rebecca Hunter wrote:

Many thanks
    Rebecca Thanks for the video and the Q&A. All very helpful. I highlight a lot (often highlighting whole passages, i.e. several lines of text). After finishing a book I like to review my highlighted passages by: tapping top of screen, then menu, then notes. The list of notes seems to be limited to three lines of text – if I want to read the whole of a longer passage I have to tap on the item in the list. This takes me back to the passage within the book. Is there a way to jump to the next highlighted passage without going back through the rigmarole described above? (i.e. top of screen, menu, notes? In other words is there a way I can I flick through the whole book advancing from one highlighted phrase/passage to the next?
    Many thanks
    Rebecca

Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 5:37 pm
  15. Paricia Berger wrote:

I don’ know what do do after I buy a book and it is down loaded . How do I get to the book itself so that I can read it?

Posted 13 Oct 2015 at 4:02 pm

You should see the book on the home screen of your Kindle. Just tap on it to begin reading.

Posted 13 Oct 2015 at 4:15 pm
  17. mick wrote:

My wife has got a new tablet. I am going to use her old kindle.Can I remove her name from left top corner .if so how.

Posted 19 Dec 2015 at 3:32 pm

Yes. It’s easy to rename your tablet. I assume it’s a Fire tablet. If so, here’s the process: From the home screen, pull down the quick settings menu from the top of the screen then tap on Settings. Then tap on Device Options, then Change Your Device Name. That will pull up a dialog box where you can erase your wife’s name and put your own in its place. Click on Save and you’re done. You should see the new name at the upper left of the tablet’s screen. I hope this works!

Posted 19 Dec 2015 at 9:59 pm
  19. YHW wrote:

My paperwhite jumps pages when I want to go to the page , I already restarted a few times

Posted 20 Dec 2015 at 12:03 pm
  20. YHW wrote:

My paper white jumps pages when I want to go to the next page or go back. It won’t go one page at a time. I already restarted my device a few times. Nothing seems to work and I can’t find any answers to this problem on the internet.

Posted 20 Dec 2015 at 12:07 pm
  21. YHW wrote:

I just found out that for most books the page numbers are all messed up but the content is consistent. One book is completely wrong. For example in most books if I go to the next page, the content is right but the page number is wrong. In one book, the content is mostly missing.

Posted 20 Dec 2015 at 12:25 pm
  22. Darla wrote:

I have always used a stylus with my paperwhite for playing games like Sudoku but all of a sudden it will not work with the stylus but will work with my finger or with a stylus that is on the end of a pen. Do stylus break?

Posted 13 Feb 2016 at 6:44 am

I don’t think so, but I have noticed varying results from a stylus on my Fire tablets. Maybe the weather has an effect, causing changes in static electricity? Try again when the weather changes, and let me know if it makes a difference!

Posted 13 Feb 2016 at 9:00 am