TKC 215 Sri Peruvemba

News - My thoughts on the Kindle Fire HD 7″
on the topics of audio quality, size, the new and improved Text To Speech lady, WhisperSync for Voice, and Immersion Reading. Also: a quick look at $69 Kindle, an eBook price war launched by Amazon, Mike Shatzkin’s praise of Amazon and thoughts on eBook pricing, and a big boost for WorldReader from major publishers.

Tech Tips - An update of the Kindle for Mac app, new software update for the Kindle Keyboard, and how to change the default search engine from Bing on your Kindle Fire HD.

Interview (starts at 18:27) - I returned to the US Headquarters of E Ink Holdings on September 11 to visit with Sri Peruvemba, chief marketing officer, nearly four years since the last time he and I met in person for the interview in TKC 18. Much has changed, but E Ink still sets the standard for technology driving the eBook Revolution.

Content - Oral Literature in Africa  by Ruth H. Finnegan is available as a free download from UnGlue.it, the startup’s first completed pledge drive to raise funds in order to “unglue” books for Creative Commons distribution. Amazon is offering 22 free Kindle/Audible titles that you can try out as a test of the new WhisperSync for Voice.  If you would like to help proofread and offer feedback on the working draft of my upcoming eBook article, Inside the Hanger at Amazon’s Santa Monica Press Conference, please send me an email at PodChronicles AT Gmail DOT com with “Proofreading” in the subject line. I will email you back .doc and .mobi versions of my draft. Thanks!

Next Week’s Guest - Jeff Belle, vice president of Amazon Publishing, which publishes Amazon’s latest invention in publishing, Kindle Serials.

And a Hat Tip from the Kindle Chronicles to the E Ink team that enabled the launch of the Kindle Paperwhite reader:

1. Maritza Nakhid wrote:

Mr. Edgerly, i read you post ‘The KND Kindle Chronicles Interview: Going Back to the Roots of the eBook Revolution’ on the Kindle Nation Weekender that i subscribe to and i’m hoping you can help me with a problem.
    can kindles be repaired? i leaned onto my handbag one day and heard a crack. i’d forgotten the kindle was in there. now i’m unable to read from it as portions of the top half doesn’t show the words anymore and i’m missing my kindle a lot

Posted 15 Sep 2012 at 9:57 pm

Maritza, I doubt your Kindle can be repaired, unfortunately. It sounds as if the glass layer was broken in the mishap. You might try calling Amazon to see if they will replace it. I’m sorry to hear about your accident with the Kindle.

Posted 15 Sep 2012 at 10:20 pm
  3. Maritza Nakhid wrote:

Thank you. i’ll do that.

Posted 15 Sep 2012 at 10:41 pm
  4. Jim wrote:

Hi Len,

Did the EInk people give you any information about the recent contrast improvements in their displays?

For instance, Amazon is claiming a 25% contrast improvement in the PW. Does that mean this is another generation beyond the Pearl display? Or were there small manufacturing improvement within the Pearl generation that slowly improve the contrast?

Posted 16 Sep 2012 at 11:05 am
  5. Rick Mansfield wrote:

Len, I was really surprised when I heard in your podcast that the new Kindle Paperwhite does not have any audio capabilities. I had planned to sell my Kindle Touch and get the new Paperwhite, but if there’s no audio, that’s a no-go for me.

Perhaps it’s simply not a popular feature, but often when I’m reading a book, I’ll pick up where I left off while driving by letting the Kindle read the book to me.

I realize the new feature that syncs a Kindle book with the Audible version is available, but I have no desire to buy both a print version and an audio version of every book. Plus, the majority of books don’t actually have an audio version.

And since I have an iPad, I’m not going to buy a Kindle Fire just for the ability to have the books read themselves to me.

I suppose I’ll be holding onto my Kindle Touch and my wife will hold onto her Kindle Keyboard a while longer.

To me this seem like a major oversight on Amazon’s part.

Posted 18 Sep 2012 at 7:03 pm

Rick, I agree that this is a disappointing thing to leave out of the next top-of-the-line E Ink Kindle. I suspect it was a combination of cost savings and feedback from customers showing that use of TTS is not as widespread as I would have thought. The Paperwhite screen clearly adds some cost, though I don’t know how much. It would be great if the Kindle for iPhone and other smartphone apps could have TTS in it, for use in the car and working out etc. I don’t know how difficult that would be to do.

Posted 18 Sep 2012 at 7:07 pm
  7. Pat Montgomery wrote:

I too agree with Rick Mansfield. I certainly won’t be buying the very expensive PaperWhite without audio speakers and TTS on board. How are you supposed to use the new combined Audible books and eBooks with Whispersync that Amazon is pushing right now, if you don’t have speakers or a earphone jack? Did I miss something or did it seem like Amazon didn’t think that part through completely?

My Kindle Keyboard3 is staying here with its full audio ability. Also the full free 3G access for those times when Wi-Fi isn’t available to check my email and news. Am so glad that this model is still being sold for those of us who aren’t enamored with the Touch screen.

I did notice that your recent video review of the $69 Kindle showed a lighter screen than what is on my KK3. That alone did make me feel a just a little bit jealous.

Posted 20 Sep 2012 at 8:09 pm

1. From The Kindle Chronicles - How E Ink Works – Video Extra with Sri Peruvemba on 30 Sep 2012 at 7:55 pm

[...] 11, 2012 at E Ink’s US headquarters in Cambridge, Massachusetts, as part of the creation of TKC 215. Link: Click here for my Kindle Nation Daily column about the visit to E [...]