TKC 194 Doug Lance

News – 1) More commentary on the Department of Justice’s antitrust action against Apple and five publishers over e-book price collusion: Brad Stone and Felix Gillette in Bloomberg Business Week, Mike Shatzkin, and Stephen Windwalker.  2) Kindle Touch 3G goes worldwide sooner than expected, via Andrys Basten.

Tech Tip – A comparison of Audible audiobooks on the Kindle Touch/Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire, and Kindle for iOS. Recommended: The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. Audible sounds better with this Phillips speaker for $19.99.

Interview (starts at 27:28) – Doug Lance, 22, a recent graduate of Western Michigan University, is making a decent living with his eFiction magazine, available at the Kindle Store for $1.99 a month. I spoke with him by Skype on Monday, April 16, but contrary to what I say in the podcast, I don’t think it was a Casper-Kalamazoo connection. The pleasing aliteration led me astray. He’s in Michigan, but it’s too late tonight to fact-check the correct city. NEXT MORNING: And the answer is, Ann Arbor!

Content – Laura Hazard Owen’s e-book Bestsellers Breakdown. Amazon Publishing inks an exclusive deal for Bond, James Bond. If you like to tango, $5 will get you a reason to move: the La Revancha Del Tango album by Gofan Gotan Project. The best thing about the Sketch n Draw app for your Kindle Fire is the price – free. I found the ads distracting, and it seemed to take too many taps to pull up the drawing tools. Still, you can make some cool designs with it when you should be doing something else.

Next Week’s Guest: Mike Shatzkin.

1. Jim Sullivan wrote:

Len,

I’m looking forward to seeing price drops on some e-books I’ve been holding off on buying. I know the Steve Jobs book is published by Simon & Schuster. Do you think Amazon might use the irony of making this the first book to discount after the agency model is set aside?

Posted 21 Apr 2012 at 10:48 am

Great idea!

Posted 21 Apr 2012 at 11:10 am
  3. Denise wrote:

When you were talking about your Audible account and wanting to share a book with your dad on his kindle, it made me think that perhaps you don’t know that once your Amazon and Audible accounts are linked, all Audible purchases show up in your “MYK” library and can then be sent to compatible devices on your account. I’m quite sure you’ve said that your dad is on your account as well as a few others. So you wouldn’t need to spend an Audible credit giving him a book you already have in your own library.

Posted 21 Apr 2012 at 1:19 pm

I didn’t know that, Denise. Very cool. My Dad isn’t on my Amazon account, but Darlene has several friend and family members on hers, so I will alert her to this and mention it on the show next week. Thanks!

Posted 21 Apr 2012 at 1:35 pm
  5. Sam Honeycutt wrote:

Does anyone know if there is the beginnings of an class action suit against these publishers and Apple?
    SAM

Posted 25 Apr 2012 at 12:16 am

Sam, the answer is yes, both in the U.S. and Canada. Here is the link for the U.S. suit: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/01/20/amended_class_action_complaint_alleges_apple_publishers_engaged_in_price_fixing_conspiracy.html

Posted 25 Apr 2012 at 4:05 am

1. From start immediately… « beatbox32 on 21 Apr 2012 at 12:03 pm

[...] out Doug Lance’s podcast interview at The Kindle Chronicles! He tells a great story about his work on eFiction and has sage advice for those looking to start [...]

2. From The Kindle Chronicles - eFiction Startup Thrives on Kindle Subscriptions on 14 May 2012 at 11:26 am

[...] age of seven. He’s also a recent graduate of Western Michigan University and was my guest for TKC 194. For our drive from Denver to Cambridge, Mass., I arranged to meet Doug for lunch yesterday en [...]