TKC 192 Panio Gianopoulos

News - 1) Devin Coldewey of TechCrunch has the Kindle scoop of the week, with his first-person description of a new e Ink Kindle with a front-lit screen, apparently coming to the market later this year. 2) Amazon announceseBooks Kindle en Espagñol Español.” 3) CNET UK reports the Kindle Fire is coming to the U.K. and Europe “sooner rather than later,” with a video review. 4) Google pulls the plug on its eBooks reseller program for independent bookstores. The American Booksellers Association promises an alternate way for bookstores to sell ebooks. Neil Strandberg of Denver’s Tattered Cover Bookstore agrees it can be done, with a lot of work.

Tech Tip - Two more things the Kindle Fire can’t do compared with the Kindle Touch: Text to Speech, and swipe up or down for the next or previous chapters. Are you planning to give a used Kindle to someone? The process we use to prepare Kindles for E-Books for Troops might give you some ideas. Click here for information on donating a Kindle for use by a U.S. Soldier overseas.

Interview (Starts at 20:53) – Panio Gianopoulos, publisher and creative director at Backlit Fiction, sees a bright future for Young Adult literature. I reached him by Skype in Los Angeles on April 3rd to learn more about the innovative plan his startup company has for revolutionizing YA with old tricks and new technology. Click here for a well-done Forbes profile. Other links mentioned: The Encyclopedia of Exes: 26 Stories by Men of Love Gone Wrong by Panio Gianopoulos, Joel Stein’s essay, Panio’s response, and A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan.

Content – My rave review of The Start-Up by Sadie Hayes, published by Backlit Fiction. An edgy test movie for your Kindle Fire: “I Think My Facebook Friend is Dead.” And BookBub will email you a manageable dose of one free-book suggestion a day, like this one: The Price by Alexandra Sokoloff.

Audio Note: After using GarageBand to create TKCs 1 through 191, with this episode I have moved up to Logic Pro 9, a powerful audio editing program that I have just begun to learn. One objective was to increase volume levels to match other podcasts I listen to. I would love to hear feedback from you on how this episode sounds, and how you listen to the podcast – earbuds while running? Bose speakers at your desk? In the car? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

1. Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:

I think it is very unintelligent to put a hard line between “adult books” and “childrens books”. And even less intelligent to insists that everybody should stick to the kind “made for their age group”.

Just look at Pixar movies. They work for everybody from age four to 104, and the stories are excellent. The same is true for many books. I’ve read the Harry Potter series, and it’s far from simple-minded, apart from being an unusually compelling story.

And recently I have read many books from Lucy Maud Montgomery, who wrote in the early 20th century. (Her most famous will be the Anne Of Green Gables series.) Her books are these days labelled as “childrens’ books”, and one can’t get around that they are basically “Little Orphan Annie” books, but they transcend the genre, they are written with great intelligence and humor, and much insight into the human condition.

In any case I feel it’s a pity to block out the ability to get joy from the experiences we got joy from as children.

Kindly yours, Eolake

Posted 07 Apr 2012 at 10:20 am
  2. Mary wrote:

The audio sounds great! I listen on my MacBook – no earbuds.

Posted 07 Apr 2012 at 10:37 am
  3. Bailey Johnson wrote:

I listen to the podcast on my ipod touch though headphones. The sound is certainly clearer, but I can hear every time you take a breath, which is rather annoying. Maybe I’ll get used to it though.

Posted 07 Apr 2012 at 1:36 pm

Bailey, I noticed the same problem, hearing the breaths. I will try to go this for the next episode. Thanks for the feedback!

Posted 07 Apr 2012 at 2:34 pm
  5. Loren wrote:

I listen usually on my iPhone either through my car’s bluetooth or, if i’m walking, through my apple earbuds. The sound is very good, I can’t put my finger on anything specific but it just sounds cleaner and clearer.

Re Young Adult fiction, frankly, anything that gets young adults into reading should be treated as gold. With technology as it is, the pleasure of reading has to take a backseat to games, tablets, etc. And if it brings in adults too, that should be seen as a positive, not a negative. Who doesn’t love a good story, and one that’s enough to draw in kids and adults is a true artist indeed. If I recall correctly before my time the goal of TV was to have something the whole family could watch together and enjoy. Having something that the whole family can read and discuss together, as mentioned above, it should be treated as solid gold.

Posted 08 Apr 2012 at 8:54 pm
  6. Steve Coughlan wrote:

I primarily listen using my Droid X with earbuds. I’ve noticed the relatively low volume level compared to other podcasts, and stopped trying to listen to TKC in some places with higher ambient noise (plan B is to use the Bluetooth connection to the audio system in my car, with better volume gain… I just need a 30-45 minute drive). I was wowed by the improved sound (including volume) of this podcast… I was able to hear it where I couldn’t hear previous ones. Bravo!

Posted 08 Apr 2012 at 9:37 pm
  7. Mary Leigh Blek wrote:

I always enjoy your podcast; however, not only was the breathing distracting, it also seemed that that you were rushing through the podcast and not speaking in your usually wonderful conversational speech.

Posted 09 Apr 2012 at 12:41 am

That’s very helpful, Mary. I need to pace myself next time! Thanks, everyone for the good feedback.

Posted 09 Apr 2012 at 9:07 am
  9. Katherine wrote:

Hi Len… I most often listen to the podcast with the iPod hooked directly into my stereo system in the car. I took a long road trip this week and loaded up the last couple of episodes. The old episodes always had a very clear, comfortable “sitting across the table talking” sound to them. When the podcast rolled into this episode the volume, set for all the podcasts I’d been listening to up to that point was suddenly so loud I thought I’d run off the road. I turned it down to a more comfortable level but there was something very wrong with the sound. I wish I could describe it to you but imagine there’s a vibrational frequency at one end that pulses distractingly so that the words become “blurry”. Also, every “S” and sound was so obvious that between those two things I literally couldn’t listen any longer. I hate to miss an episode but IMHO, this was a huge step backward in sound. Maybe it’s a mixing problem on the channels? An audio engineer would maybe be able to describe what I was hearing better than I can.

Posted 13 Apr 2012 at 11:28 pm

Katherine, thanks for the very useful feedback. I had a session with an Apple tech to tweak the settings in Logic, and I hope you’ll hear an improvement for TKC 193, which I’m just about to upload, keeping my fingers crossed. Logic is a much more powerful audio editor than GarageBand, but I am still learning my way on it. Please let me know how it sounds!

Posted 14 Apr 2012 at 1:18 am

1. From I’m Glad You Asked Me That | Panio Gianopoulos on 10 Apr 2012 at 2:49 am

[...] Panio Gianopoulos on Tuesday, April 10, 2012 Recently, Len Edgerly interviewed me for his podcast The Kindle Chronicles. Len was gracious and entertaining, the model of a genial, intelligent, and well-informed [...]