TKC 189 South by Southwest Interactive

Intro – Omar L. Gallaga reports that South by Southwest Interactive registration this year was up nearly 27 percent compared to last year, to a total of 24,569.

News – 1) Amazon updates Kindle for iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch just in time for the arrival of the iPad – 3rd generation. Is the screen better than the iPad 2? Absolutely. 2) Laura Hazard Owen reports on a survey showing college students are switching to tablets and e-readers. 3) Should you buy a refurbished Kindle Fire for $30 less than the new ones cost? Maybe.

Tech Tips - Piotr Kowalczyk’s EbookFriendly site is a good source of information and tips about the Kindle, including his method of using Twitter for quick links to Kindle samples or purchases.  Also, I’m still having trouble with my Kindle Fire’s WiFi connection.

Daniel A. Cohen

InterviewsDaniel A. Cohen (starts at 13:12), author of The Ancillary’s Mark: A Novel and Masters of the Veil, the first of the Veil trilogy, described his experience as an author in the Era of EBooks. His publisher is Spencer Hill Press.

At the same gathering, Bytes and Books, on March 11, hosted by Shelton Interactive and Cave Henricks Communications, I spoke with Todd Sattersten (starts at 20:28), author of Every Book is a Startup: The New Business of Publishing, available at O’Reilly Media in DRM-free multiple formats for $9.99 and at the Kindle Store for $5.03.

Todd Sattersten

Other publishers mentioned: Harvard Business Publishing and Hay House.

On March 12, after moderating a panel titled “Publishing Models Transforming the Book,” Rachel Deahl spoke with me about how Amazon is perceived from within the traditional publishing industry. She is Senior News Editor at Publishers Weekly

ContentThe Man Who Wrote Old Yeller: Fred Gipson, Texas Storyteller by Mike Cox, Penguin’s Book Country, and a free TED app for Kindle Fire.

Upcoming Guests – Next week: James McQuivey of Forrester Research. TKC 191 on March 30: novelist Margaret Atwood, who has just published I’m Starved for You from Byliner.

Other topics mentioned“Do E-Books Make It Harder to Remember What You Just Read?” in Time Magazine.

1. Jim Jones wrote:

Len,

I’ve just discovered that, unfortunately, the new Kindle app for iOS devices seems to have disabled the audio and video links for all my books with “enhanced content” (e.g., the Jacqueline Kennedy conversations with Arthur Schlesinger). Hopefully it’s just a temporary and quickly resolveable glitch.

Posted 17 Mar 2012 at 3:56 am

That’s a real drawback. Thanks for pointing it out, Jim. I’ll try one of my enhanced-content books to confirm.

Posted 17 Mar 2012 at 9:08 am
  3. Al wrote:

I don’t normally buy books when I am not at home, but for once I thought I would try it. It said I had to have wi-fi connected to access the Amazon Kindle store. This popped up after I tried to access the book once I was in the store. I don’t get much of a signal on whispernet where I am, but one of the things I really liked about my Kindle (keyboard) was the ability to look stuff up while riding in my car. The only good thing about this is it will limit my impulse purchases.

Posted 17 Mar 2012 at 4:10 pm
  4. Jim Jones wrote:

Hey Len,

FYI – Just got off the phone with Amazon and, after transfer to three support levels, the rep. said it’s a “known issue,” and they’re working on a fix.

Posted 19 Mar 2012 at 4:51 pm
  5. Elaine Marshall wrote:

Len,

You mentioned your wifi problems with the kindle fire, and I just wanted to chime in on mine with the kindle touch. It connects to my home wifi, but then if I take it out and it connects to 3G, it then will not reconnect to my home network without a factory reset. Kindle support says it’s a known issue and will be addressed in the next software update. Wondered if anyone else is having this issue?

Thanks for the great podcast!

Posted 20 Mar 2012 at 11:07 am
  6. Jim Jones wrote:

Len,

Last word: Amazon put out an update on Wednesday night that seems to have restored the audio/video functionality to the enhanced content titles.

Posted 22 Mar 2012 at 2:24 am
  7. Gary wrote:

Thanks for the tip about the USA Today App for the Kindle Fire. I downloaded it and am finding the ability to change the font size very useful.

On a different topic, last week on a flight, I settled in to finish a book I borrowed from the Lending Library. Oops. Apparently you can’t read a book checked out from the Lending Library without WiFi access.

Last item: I’m now back to using Readability instead of Send to Kindle, since I dsicovered there’s an App for it for the Kindle Fire.

Posted 24 Mar 2012 at 7:15 pm