TKC 173 Laura Hazard Owen

News – 1) My Nook Tablet has arrived. It’s a beautiful device, but I confess I have not spent much time using it, because there is so much more to learn about the Kindle Fire. On a comparison of hardware only, I give the Nook a slight edge over the Fire, but that’s not all of the story. 2) M-Edge Accessories makes an excellent cover for the Fire. 3) Free Kindles with newspaper subscriptions? This may be an idea whose time is getting closer.

Tech TipGib Wallis of Brief Episode helped me load the Nook app onto my Kindle Fire without rooting or jailbreaking the Fire. Here are the steps he e-mailed me: 1) Allow the Kindle Fire to install apps from other app stores, emails, and web links: Tap the settings from the Home screen or any screen with it visible; Tap More; Tap Device; At Allow Installation of Applications, tap ON. 2) Get the GetJar app, for a free app store for Android: Go to the mobile version of GetJar at: m.GetJar.com; When prompted, download the GetJar app; Let the app download. 3) Move the GetJar app to your app folder; Download a file manager that’s free from the Amazon app store, like File Expert; Move the GetJar app from the Kindle Fire’s Downloads folder to the Apps folder; Go to your apps and start GetJar; In the GetJar store, look for the Nook app – it’s often on the front page, but there’s also an option to search; Download the Nook app; install the Nook app just as you would an Amazon app store app.

Also, George from Tulsa sent me this link which offers easy steps for adding Dropbox to your Fire. And finally, tips on how to highlight on the Kindle Touch and the Mystery of the Missing My Clippings File.

Interview (Starts at 24:17)Laura Hazard Owen, a Staff Writer at PaidContent, describes how Penguin Group USA this week directed Overdrive to pull Kindle versions of Penguin books at public libraries, then rescinded part of the decision. I spoke with her by phone and Skype on November 25th.

Content – Bufo Calvin’s Love Your Kindle Fire: The ILMK Guide to Amazon’s Entertablet and Moe Zilla, aka Jon Cog’s The Turkey Mystery Rhyme: A Short Thanksgiving Day Mystery for Kids. Also, I found a mindmapping app for the Fire, called Mindmaps by Endare. It costs $3.99 at the Amazon App Store for Android, and it’s pretty good.

Next Week’s Interview Guest: Russell Grandinetti, Amazon’s vice president for Kindle content.

Next Google Plus Video Hangout: Wednesday, November 30, at 3 p.m. Eastern.

1. Mary C. Butash wrote:

Listened with interest to your podcast today. I find that I really look forward to it each week and therefore contributed to your monthly subscription.

Thanks for your kind mention of my comments and your email regarding them. The podcast feels much more intimate than blogs because of this.

I finally had the opportunity to spend a few days with my new Kindle Touch 3G/wireless and IT IS A KEEPER! First impression is the lightness of its feel in my hand as compared to my trusty Kindle 2. It actually feels like it might blow away in a strong wind. I am still a little ginger with touching the screen as it is so responsive. the clicking of the forward and back page buttons of the Kindle 2 were so much more definitive. I got a little confused when reading Flourish by Martin Seligman. This book apparently has notes at the back as it is somewhat scholarly. Somehow I touched something that accessed the notes and couldn’t find my place back in the text. Syncing to the last page read was no help as it saw the notes as the last page I had viewed. Luckily, the book has a table of contents and I was able to find the chapter and then my page. On this book, I now “bookmark” the page when I finish reading.

I agree with you that the highlighting function is lovely and I truly enjoy the combined functions of dictionary and highlighting.

This is my first Kindle with special offers and I don’t find it intrusive. I hadn’t ordered a cover for my Kindle touch because I didn’t know if I would keep it so the special offer for 50% off the cost of a cover came in right handy. Also learned of TNT Mystery Nights which I will watch.

An interesting discovery when I organized my books into folders….I find in the 3 years I have had my Kindle I have read 70 books! This doesn’t include many paper books I have read in addition to those on the Kindle. I know I have purchased many times more books since getting my Kindle including paper books. For me, Kindle=buy and read more books.

Finally a recommendation for the first book I read from my Amazon Lending Library. Merle’s Door: Lessons from a Free Thinking Dog by Ted Kerasote. This book is a story about a young outdoorsman and the dog he adopts. Besides a story of their adventures which is entertaining and touching, there is interspersed research about dog behavior. The mix is well done with the story leading the narrative and not too much science to break the train of the story. I truly enjoyed it and am looking forward to my December selection.

Posted 26 Nov 2011 at 12:48 pm
  2. Rick Mansfield wrote:

Len, I’m wanting to post a review of the new Kindle Touch on my blog, but can’t figure out how to get a screen capture on the device and was curious to know if you or any of the Kindle Chronicles listeners might know.

On my previous Kindle, all I had to do is press Alt-Shift-G on the keyboard and it saved an image of the screen, which I could then save to my computer.

Any ideas?

Posted 28 Nov 2011 at 10:08 am
  3. Bob Lee wrote:

I found this on one of the Amazon Kindle boards that I think sheds a bit more light on the Penguin Library issue brought up in the podcast. It is a reply from Penguin to someone who had written to them about the issue.

Upshot — the books are back temporarily and could go away after 12/31 if the issues are not resolved by then.

Reply from Penguin:
    Thank you for your inquiry.

Penguin Group (USA) recently decided to withhold the supply of new digital titles from suppliers to US libraries until concerns about the security of the copyright of its authors are resolved.

In addition, Penguin informed suppliers to libraries that it expected them to abide by existing agreements to offer older digital titles to libraries only if those files are held behind the firewalls of the suppliers.

Following receipt of this information, Overdrive, a supplier of ebooks to US libraries, removed “Get for Kindle” from its offering.

Penguin was subsequently informed by Amazon that it had not been consulted by Overdrive about the terms of Penguin’s agreement with Overdrive. Amazon has undertaken to working with Penguin and Overdrive between now and the end of the year to address Penguin’s concerns. Penguin will, as a result, restore the supply of these titles until the end of the year in order to return the availability of older titles to all its digital customers.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Posted 29 Nov 2011 at 10:39 am
  4. Aaron Benedict wrote:

Len,

What was the name of the office app that you bought for the Kindle Fire? I’d like to give it a try.

Posted 29 Nov 2011 at 12:32 pm

Aaron, the one I have is OfficeSuite Pro, which was offered free on one of the daily free-apps promotions. It now costs $9.99.

Posted 29 Nov 2011 at 4:30 pm

Mary, thanks very much for the subscription! These really help, and they add up the more people do them. Much appreciated!
    I told Darlene about the TNT Mystery Nights, having seen that same Special Offer, but she didn’t bite. I guess she likes reading her mysteries best. I did end up getting hooked on the ABC series “Revenge” because of the ads on my Kindle and the free script they offered. I, too, can’t wait for my December selection from the Kindle Lending Library. I spoke with Russ Grandinetti yesterday, who is in charge of Kindle content at Amazon, and he had some good info about it.

Posted 29 Nov 2011 at 10:27 pm
  7. V Lawless wrote:

I am an avid follower of your Kindle blog and hope you can help. Please consider blogging or talking about the Kindle Fire Issues that are currently being discussed at : http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle%20customer%20service%20q%20and%20a/ref=cm_cd_t_rvt_np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1GLDPZMNR1X53&cdPage=13&cdThread=Tx35L4J9ZNCQGVO#CustomerDiscussionsNew

You can also do a Google search for “Kindle Fire router” and find a LARGE number of people online posing questions about the issues they’re having getting their Kindle Fire connected to the internet through their Wifi routers. This is a systemic problem that really needs some publicity so Amazon will see it as a real issue that needs to be addressed. Thank you for your time and your help,

V Lawless (Kindle Fire owner and future Kindle Fire user)

Posted 02 Dec 2011 at 1:01 pm

Vicki, thanks for the link and the info on this. I, too, have noticed that the WiFi connection to my Fire is sort of shaky. I often have to reconnect to WiFi, whereas my iPad has no problem here on our home network. I’ll do so looking into this for today’s show.

Posted 02 Dec 2011 at 1:35 pm
  9. V Lawless wrote:

Thank you Len, you can find my personal router issue and attempted fixes on page 13 of the link I provided.

Posted 02 Dec 2011 at 2:28 pm