TKC 154 Kate Harper

News – 1) My impressions of the new Kobo eReader Touch Edition. 2) Dedicated e-readers show faster growth than tablets in new survey by Pew.

InterviewKate Harper, greeting-card designer and author of How to Publish and Sell Your Article on the Kindle: 12 Tips for Short Documents, spoke with me on June 28, 2011, about the advantages of short articles on Kindle for readers and authors.

Content – Don’t forget that enhanced Kindle books will take up a lot of space on your Kindle.

Click here for the video recording of my webinar for the Professional Outdoor Media Association on June 27.  Pete Meyers also did an excellent webinar this week for O’Reilly Media, titled “Digital Bookmaking Tools Roundup,” but the recording of it does not seem to be available yet.

1. Bob Cope wrote:

Len–
    The tip on Daniel Silva’s Mossad series is right on….His protagonist, Gabriel Allon, is totally believable…I’ve been reading them at an “every other day” clip since my daughter put me on to them…..You don’t have to read them in order, but it might help…Check his Amazon Author Page for the list…Enjoy!!!

Posted 02 Jul 2011 at 1:10 am
  2. Gabe Mydland wrote:

Link for “Tech Tip – Feedback on last week’s suggestion that you avoid manually putting your Kindle to sleep.”?

Posted 02 Jul 2011 at 6:19 pm

Gave, there isn’t a link but you’ll find the tech tip in TKC 153, one episode older than this one.

Posted 02 Jul 2011 at 7:35 pm
  4. Adele wrote:

I listened to this article. Then I bought a Kindle and my first purchase was Kate Harper’s article – just a few minutes ago. A bargain. Thanks for writing this. I will pass along your link.

Adele

Posted 11 Jul 2011 at 1:45 pm

Very cool. Thanks for posting this, Adele. Please let me know when your own Kindle article is available for purchase!

Posted 11 Jul 2011 at 2:05 pm
  6. Jim Jones wrote:

Hello Len,
    With regard to your comment wondering why anyone would use the physical page buttons on the Nook Simple Touch reader in lieu of the touchscreen, if I understand it correctly, don’t those allow you to quickly skim through pages? That would seem to be at least a partial solution to some of the classroom usability problems encountered in some of the Kindle studies.

Posted 17 Jul 2011 at 3:28 pm

Jim, you’re correct! I just tried holding down the physical next/previous buttons on the Nook Simple Touch, and it enables fast movement through the pages in either direction. Good feature, and thanks for the tip!

Posted 19 Jul 2011 at 12:55 pm