TKC 123 The Next Generation

Drew Shikoh in Chattanooga and Gigi in London

News – 1) Black Friday’s very brief Amazon special, $89 for a Kindle 2, generates an angry hive of forum participants who did not click in time to get one. 2) According to Carolyn Kellogg of The Los Angeles Times, The Autobiography of Mark Twain – Volume I is now pretty much available only in e-book format.

Interview (7:15) – Following up a lukewarm review of Ender’s Game by my nephew Stephen, I visited this week with Drew Shikoh, 14, and Gigi, 8, about their love of reading on the Kindle. Drew is an eighth grader at The McCallie School who has done a Houghton Mifflin internship for the authors of Dormia and World’s End. Gigi is a big fan of Kindle editions by Jacqueline Wilson and Anne Fine.  Each of these young book lovers is writing original work which you may one day be able to purchase on your Kindle.

Comments – Last week’s interview with Peter Hildick-Smith generated lots of feedback, including thoughts from Garrett Riley, Mary McManus, Bob Dashman, Kipp Poe Speicher, and Jean Remple.

1. Jim Jones wrote:

Hi Len,

Very charming and refreshing interview guests!

Posted 27 Nov 2010 at 3:45 am
  2. Wayne wrote:

Regarding Hildick-Smith’s comment about Amazon’s TV ad spending, there’s really no logic to it. Apple has probably spent 10 times as much including print ads promoting the iPad. Does this mean that somehow the iPad is a flop? Early adopters may purchased an expensive electronic device sight unseen but if Amazon has found that TV promotion and making Kindles available at physical stores helps accelerate adoption why is this a bad sign? People’s lives are not restricted simply to input from the online world. That purchases might be prompted by some offline rather than digital stimulus is irrelevant.
    And as for where people first hear of the books they buy, perhaps it is hard to know whether it matters where one first heard about something vs. what the decisive subsequent mentions of those books are that cause the purchaser to reach that tipping point where buy he actually buys the book; this may not be the initial hearing of the book. In my own, case I’ll put lots of books on a want list and depending on what mood I’m in will buy one of the e-book titles weeks or months later like when I get a break from a long stretch of work. I’ll often not know exactly what final factors tipped the scales influencing me to get one title rather than another.
    If he wants to be more convincing he’d also do better to be more transparent and disclose more details of his study. He could have produced a link to the survey questions for example and what kinds of people he targeted and how he went about that. I would assume he would few if any “next generation” respondents such as Len’s interview subjects from this week’s podcast.

Posted 27 Nov 2010 at 8:16 am
  3. Errol wrote:

Great interview Len. Like a previous commenter said, Its refreshing to hear young peoples thoughts on Kindle and reading.

Posted 27 Nov 2010 at 9:30 pm
  4. Bob wrote:

After being surprised by the results of Mr Hildick-Smith, I googled his employment history and checked out the web site of his business. I now find his conclusions no more surprising that the American Tobacco Insitute research showing that cigarettes are harmless.

Posted 29 Nov 2010 at 6:44 am
  5. Al Shikoh wrote:

Drew is actually 13, not 14. :-)

Posted 29 Nov 2010 at 4:58 pm
  6. Jason Packham wrote:

Great interviews this week. Very refreshing.

I really hope Drew is not an anomaly but I’m afraid he is. I don’t personally know any 13-year-olds who are so well-spoken, reading President Bush’s memoirs or who have done an internship with a publisher. Most young kids I know sound more like your nephew from the previous interviews (one or two word answers). But great to know that there is at least some kids who love reading and can hold an intelligent conversation.

And Gigi sounds like an absolute doll.

Thanks for the interviews…keep up the good work.

Posted 30 Nov 2010 at 3:14 pm

1. From Will Kids Read Print Books Anymore? Scholastic’s 2010 Report — Unruly Guides ePublishing on 27 Nov 2010 at 4:53 pm

[...] (soon) use a Star Wars app on their phone It’s all part of the Star Wars experience for them and they welcome all formats and platforms as long as the content is great. The barrier of entry to create a book, make a podcast, record an audio book, make a video or create a mobile app aren’t coming down–they are DOWN. Don’t worry if kids will grow up to read print books–or even ebooks–they will. Instead focus on creating something worthwhile, hopefully great, that will create a legacy and a body of work unlike in any time before us. Can you do it? Let us know how we can help you and leave comments and questions below. Update: After posting this, I see that Len Edgerly has an interview on The Kindle Chronicles with two kids in the same age groups as children in the Scholastic study. You can listen to his interview with Drew (age 14)  and Gigi (age 8) about reading and ebooks on TKC 123. [...]