TKC 63 Darlene – III

Darlene ThumbNewsTechFlash brings word that Amazon has settled the “1984″ lawsuit.  Thoughts on settlement by Andrys Basten and Abhi. Kindle sales appear to be coming soon to the UK.  The Daily Princetonian claims “many” of the 50 students using free Kindle DXs “were dissatisfied and uncomfortable with the devices.” But the article quotes only two students, and one of them has some good things to say about the DX.  Ah, the media.  Stephen Windwalker has his Fall 2009 Kindle Survey up till October 15. There’s even a question about The Kindle Chronicles!

Tech Tip – From Bret Ingerman at the Yahoo Kindle Korner group: move the 5-way controller to the left or right to skip behind or ahead by chapters.

Interview – My wife Darlene returns to the podcast on the occasion of her one-year anniversary as a Kindle reader.  Includes snippets from Day 1 when her Kindle 1 was unboxed, and an interview after her first month.  And now, she tells how the Kindle has completely changed the way she reads a series of books by the same author.  She also has a good idea for a hybrid Kindle/audiobook product and a tip for an un-tech-savvy reader like herself who may be thinking about trying a Kindle.

Content – Abhi’s painstaking list of Kindle books by independent authors. Suzanne Levin makes her Chick with Books available for Kindle subscription.

Your Comments – Ron Molnar on refurbished Kindles, Rick Askenase’s idea for reviewing blogs available on Kindle, Al MacDiarmid on the Belmont Public Library.  Audio comments from Clark Diamond and Jim Jones.

Click here to download this episode.

1. Werner Aguilar wrote:

Der Len,

I’m listening to your podcast (TKC63) as I have my coffe and toast early this Saturday morning. I really enjoyed your interview with your wife Darlene. I remembered that you interviewed her earlier this year. You should schedule her from time to time as she is an great guest with some interesting viewpoints as a regular (non-techie) user of the Kindle. What really made me admire her was the fact that she was holding her Yorkie while reading her Kindle. I have 10 dogs who live in my home and I also have a dog or two or three on my lap or bed when I read my Kindle. Thanks for your wonderful podcasts. Best regards to you and Darlene.

Posted 03 Oct 2009 at 9:26 am
  2. someone wrote:

Darlene,

Have you read the “Outlander” series by Diana Gabaldon? Your comment about finding a series long out and being able to download them, put them in chronological order, and read them continuously made me think of this one. I’ve had the good fortune of discovering Gabaldon only after acquiring the Kindle and have done exactly what you were discussing.

Cheers,

Sarah

Posted 03 Oct 2009 at 4:15 pm
  3. Rick Limpert wrote:

Agree with Darlene that a change has to be made with the ability to share your books. Being able to share a Kindle book with one other user would be more than fair. This is one imporant aspect of book reading that is missing from The Kindle Experience.

Posted 03 Oct 2009 at 6:08 pm
  4. Steven wrote:

I really enjoy your podcast each week. I wish the Kindle would be available in Canada.

Posted 04 Oct 2009 at 5:12 pm
  5. Renee Crites wrote:

Love it when Darlene is on the podcast. Looks in the picture above that your sweet little Yorkie is learning to read! LOL Thanks Len and Darlene for a great show!

Posted 05 Oct 2009 at 3:10 pm
  6. Denise Levenick wrote:

Darlene is a great interview subject, and I hope you can “draft” her for the panel if you go to the S/S Conference. My reading habits are similar to hers (sounds like lots of series mysteries) and I enjoyed the tips about organizing titles in publication order.

Please pass on my recommendation for a clever, well-written British series featuring a a “modern” sleuth, The Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear.

Posted 08 Oct 2009 at 8:26 am
  7. thorn wrote:

What Denise said. Darlene is great; her impressions are a nice complement to your work.

Besides. If we never actually heard her, and only heard *about* her, we’d think she was imaginary.

Posted 10 Oct 2009 at 8:44 am
  8. Halimah Felt wrote:

Hearing from Darlene again is delightful! I do appreciate the ‘broadening’ effect she brings to the presentation! heeheee (couldn’t resist, Darlene!) and, really, not all of us are so totally intent on hearing mostly purely techy aspects of our Kindle experiences! so Darlene’s input is indeed valuable to us as it is, for its own inimitable sake!
    basically I sense that Darlene’s contributions provide more dynamic, involving and evolving connections / relationships, give and take with a better reaching and touching a larger audience … as in more happening with more complex subtleties being revealed in the process … more appeal (in a word)
    so I’m glad to see that others seem to agree too … (I waited to comment deliberately; but I heard the show soon after it appeared here)

Posted 10 Oct 2009 at 4:16 pm
  9. Tom Ford wrote:

Hey Len, I listen to the podcast all the time and enjoy it a great deal. In your interview with you wife Darlene, she mentioned a “box-set” of the Sookie Stackhouse novels that she said was available for the Kindle. I think you thought she might be mistaken (and I must say as I listened I thought she might be as well), but I just came across it on Amazon. There is indeed a “box-set” of the first eight Sookie books available for the Kindle priced at 29.90. That’s about 3 dollars per book and about 50% cheaper than buying all the titles separately. That’s a pretty great deal especially for such popular titles. Thanks! Tom

Posted 17 Oct 2009 at 8:25 am