TKC EXTRA – “Will the Kindle Save Reading?”

Len PodcampThis is a recording of the discussion which I led today, August 8, 2009, at Podcamp Boston 4.  It was titled “Will the Kindle Save Reading?” and it was actually a discussion instead of a one-way presentation.

An active participant in the front row of the room was John Elder Robison, author of Look Me in the Eye, published on paper and Kindle edition by Random House.  The audience comprised 30-40 people by my estimate.

I’ve used a photo taken of me by Steve Garfield from an early Podcamp Boston, courtesy of SteveGarfield.com.

Click here to download this episode.

1. Steve Garfield wrote:

Thanks Len.

Here’s the original photo:

CC BY-NC-SA

Posted 09 Aug 2009 at 2:49 am
  2. Sabine wrote:

Great session! You’re definitely worth my vote for the SXSW. I loved that Robison was there. His book is well worth reading!

Posted 09 Aug 2009 at 5:12 am
  3. Al wrote:

About not knowing where you are in the book, there is a little line across the bottom of the page and it has little tick marks on it if the author put them there that represent chapter breaks.

I have over 1000 books for my Kindle and the vast majority are from free sources. Amazon, Baen, SteveJordan, feedbooks, gutenberg and others have free as well as very inexpensive books.

I didn’t understand your comment about “hacking into a library card catalog”. The card catalogs are freely and legally accessible from any browser, including the Kindle. One needs a library card and pin to access it, but there is nothing illegal about it. What didn’t I understand there?

It was a good session, thanks for posting it.

Posted 09 Aug 2009 at 7:36 am
  4. Mary McManus wrote:

Thanks for this episode. It was really enjoyable and through it was introduced to John Elder Robison and his book, Look me in the Eye. It sounds excellent and has starred reviews from Booklist and Publishers Weekly, so I bought the book for my Kindle and look forward to reading it.

Posted 09 Aug 2009 at 9:32 am
  5. Greg Keck wrote:

Len – great discussion. After listening I went to Amazon and bought “Look me in the eye” but after I hit the “Buy” button I noticed the TTS was disabled and I said I would boycott any book with TTS disabled out of principle.

Posted 09 Aug 2009 at 10:33 am
  6. Errol wrote:

Thanks Len for this bonus episode. Absolutely brilliant to listen to. It was also quite funny as it made me laugh.

Posted 11 Aug 2009 at 9:01 am
  7. Howard A. Lewis wrote:

This was a wonderful extra. The insight of the audience was unexpected. A vast array of interesting comments.

Posted 16 Aug 2009 at 6:33 pm
  8. thorn wrote:

what’s nice about kindle specifically, as an e-reader, is that it is one of the few on the market that is *searchable*.

re. the ‘flash’ (page going to black on page-turn): i didn’t know about it when i ordered my device; saw it for the first time on someone else’s, while riding the train juuust before mine showed up. i thought, “uh-ohhhh.. not sure i’m going to like *that*.” but it turns out that i just blink at the same time that i click the ‘next page’ button, and i almost never even see the flash.

Posted 18 Aug 2009 at 2:30 pm

1. From Kindle vs lumber at podcamp - limeduck on 09 Aug 2009 at 5:55 pm

[...] You can listen to much of the podcamp session at the Kindle Chronicles here. Tags: #pcb4, amazon, drm, kindle [...]

2. From karabrickman.com » Blog Archive » Invasion of the Pod Tweeple on 14 Aug 2009 at 3:15 am

[...] & Don’t be sexy, be good. Good is sexy. Len Edgerly – Odds and ends from PCB4 & TKC Extra Will the Kindle Save Reading Matthew Grant – PCB4: my me too thoughts and reflections Mike Proulx – Notes from PCB4 [...]

3. From Amanda MacArthur’s Blogfolio « Amander.com on 17 Aug 2009 at 3:49 pm

[...] moderated by Len Edgerly, a very enthusiastic group talked about the future of digital publishing. You can listen to it online or download the discussion. While there is plenty of interesting conversation in that podcast, which I’d recommend listening [...]

4. From What I Did Over Summer Vacation: PodCamp Boston 4 | Content for a Convergent World on 28 Sep 2010 at 10:10 pm

[...] Will the Kindle Save Reading? (Len Edgerly) [...]